The new Edens Edge album cover, styled by moi. Hannah's peplum dress
is right on trend for the spring.Top, $32.99, Modcloth. Love this coral color. This bustier would be cute for a shower or lunch with white pants or under a blazer for work.
More spring style highlights! For me, polka dots are always a highlight. I never get sick of them, and they never go out of style in my opinion. They just happen to be, well, a little hotter this spring. This fun trend makes me extra happy when paired with peplums. Peplum, yeah, that's a word that I probably didn't know until like two months ago. I maybe could have picked it out of a multiple choice definition list, but for sure would have been process of elimination. And I've got some MAD test taking skills. So put that word with "epaulets" in the category of: "Unless you're a stylist or work at Neiman Marcus, you don't need to know what this means...well, maybe unless you're on Jeopardy! one day."
BUT since I wrote half a post about peplums, you should know that it's that little flouncy piece of fabric that juts out from the waist on tops, dresses, skirts, and jackets that are super hot this spring. For skirts, they should be paired with sleeker tops to balance out the fabric. And the same goes for peplum tops and jackets: they work great with skinny cropped pants and jeans or even a flare with a very fitted thigh.
For polka dots this season, wear them on everything, and I particularly love pairing black and white polka dots with some of the bright colored jeans and shoes that are everywhere! Here are some great ones!
2. Peplum Dress With Ribbon Trim, $81.81, ASOS. A peplum dress can be so waist-defining. And if the peplum is long enough, it can be a good bum-hider :-).
3. Polka Dot Harem Pants, $22.80, Forever 21. I think keeping the look over-all relaxed is best with these pants. Add a white blouse tied at the waist or work back to a long boyfriend blazer with the sleeves pushed up and waist-cinching belt.
4. Cooperative Norma Platform Heel, $29.99, Urban Outfitters. I freaking love shoes. And I freaking love polka dots. So these have Amber Lehman all over them.
5. Broken Levels Skirt, $69.95, Anthropologie. White tank top, espradrilles, big turquoise necklace. Done-zo.
6. Muze Oversized Polka Dot Clutch, $98.90, Nordstrom. Wow, this yellow is amaze. And most people really shouldn't wear this color on their actual bodies, so a clutch is a great way to not look like a character from The Walking Dead but wear one of the colors of the season.
7. Tibi Peplum-Waist Striped Jacket, $498, Net-a-Porter. Tibi had gone into Grandma Land or Super Resort All-the-Time Land a while back, but they're back on the map with cute patterns and cuts that work for the under-50 set. This jacket is a great example.
8. Domino Effect Sweater by MINKPINK, $89, Piperlime.com. This is actually the perfect outfit, and it's just the model for the sweater. MINKPINK is one of my fave on-trend affordable brands too.